Yorklands Green Hub will bring together businesses, organizations, and people of all ages and interests – to learn, work, share and innovate, with the common purpose of being engaged stewards of our land, food, water, and our overall wellbeing.
- To create for Ontario’s public domain a self-sustaining education, demonstration, and research hub (living lab) at the provincially owned former Guelph Correctional Centre (GCC).
The City of Guelph and the Province of Ontario and its citizens will be recognized as world leaders in the development and implementation of resilient and sustainable ecological, social and economic innovations related to:
- ENERGY & TRANSPORTATION
- WATER & RESOURCE CONSERVATION
- LOCAL FOOD PRODUCTION & SECURITY
- CULTURAL/NATURAL HERITAGE PRESERVATION
- Preservation of the unique cultural and natural heritage of the GCC lands through adaptive reuse
- Diffusion of local, sustainable and affordable food initiatives throughout Ontario.
- Creation of educational demonstrations to help citizens and businesses choose low impact and carbon neutral energy alternatives
- Increased engagement of citizens in building strong, resilient, safe and inclusive communities.
1. To secure 70 acres designated heritage/cultural for innovative small-scale agricultural, energy and environmental sustainability initiatives.
2. To secure and retrofit the Superintendent’s house as a centre for interactive educational programs
1. to be a self-sustaining education, demonstration, innovation and research hub
2. to focus on sustainable local food production
3. to focus on wise water use and wetland protection,
4. to focus on energy conservation and technologies for sustainable living
5. to focus on the natural and cultural heritage of the site